Tuesday, April 29, 2008

*Crack*...

This is the lovely sound I heard at the climbing gym last night. It was the sound that my ankle made when I fell from an unsuccessful attempt at a route that I have been working on lately. I had two mats side by side underneath me, but where did my foot land do you ask?....Between them of course! I was about 10 feet up, and horizontal to the ground. It's the crux of the route and I have yet to conquer it. You have all your weight on two little fingers and some how you reach back and grab this awkward hand hold. What happened is that my feet actually slipped...rather than my hands. Since I was horizontal the slipping of my feet actually caused my body to gain momentum and I sort of whipped around...sticking my foot sideways into the ground. I heard and felt an awful pop. It hurt so bad, but since there were so many people there I tried to hold it in, and "calmly" called Jason over. He thought I was just frustrated with the fact that I couldn't complete it. Since I was holding my ankle he realized that it was a little more...:-) After laying on the floor for a minute or so...and yes, everyone of course realized that I hurt myself, I hobbled over to the couch that they have in there, looked down, and saw that I already had an enormously fat ankle...oh joy.

Jason took me to his house to ice it down and all that good stuff. I am happy to say that it is probably half the size that it was...but still quite big. I have never hurt my ankle...or anything for that matter. The Lord has really protected me. For all that I do...this is the worst injury I have ever had. Thank you Lord!!! I will also confess that sometimes when people hobble around on a hurt ankle I think..."Oh give me a break, it can't be that bad!" Uh, yeah, it is that bad. I walk like a full-on gimp. Oh well, hopefully I will bounce back fast!!! :-)

Also, a side note...you know you pay for your own health insurance when the first thing you think of when you hurt yourself is not, "Oh no, the pain, the pain," but, "Oh no, the doctor bills, the doctor bills." I sort of made myself laugh when that was the first thing I thought of. When I heard the "crack" I was so afraid that I broke it! I didn't :-)...obviously!!!

1 comments:

jenny said...

Oh my word, you dear girl! You make me laugh... all your posts. Oh, and I'm so glad you had a great experience with Wicked! I'm dying to see it... (hint, hint Travis!)