Friday, June 13, 2008

My Frame is Back!

Hello fellow bloggers! I hope everyone is doing marvy harvy!!! It's Friday so that in and of itself is great! Well, yesterday I got off of work and gave my rent money to the guy I'm renting the studio from. I'm not used to dropping that amount of money all at once. Some what painful but also good. I ALSO went and picked up my mountain bike frame. The guy there did an amazing job!!! Wow, it seriously looked so cool. It pretty much looks like a brand new frame! He even rebuilt the chain stay. (That is the part of the frame that runs along parallel to the chain. It often times get chunked from chain suck. Mine was really bad looking). We had some ferrules that were stuck in the frame too and he managed to get those puppies out. Jason worked forever on it and no luck. He told me he worked a ton on it and would have charged anyone else $130 or $150 for the work he did. He charged me $100. That was very nice of him but it was kinda lame to have to pay $20 more than I budgeted. Oh well.

So, Jason was super excited and wanted to start putting it together right off. We took it to Foothill Cyclery because the guy there has a passion for old bikes...especially Klein's. We go to Art's for the service and the people, CBO for the prices, and Foothill for my bike. :-) Jason can pretty much put the whole bike together except for pressing in the bearings in the bottom bracket and the cups inside the head tube (he could do this too except this job involves very expensive tools. Since you only put a bike together once or twice...it doesn't justify the amount of money you would spend). So, we handed it off to them at Foothill and within 5 minutes of giving it to them they had chipped the paint on the bottom bracket. Yeah, I was not a very happy camper. I didn't really make a big deal about it, I just wanted to know if it would compromise the paint job...would it continue to chip. They assured me "no". I mean honestly, what are they going to say, "yeah, sorry, oops!". I doubt it. So, I walked around the store, they worked on it for maybe 20 minutes, and guess what my labor bill was.......$50! What!?! Uggg. Art's would never have charged us that! My gosh. The only consolation was the fact that they gave me a handful of carbon fiber spacers (about $30 worth) to go with my new King headset they installed. I think they felt bad about chipping my 1 hour old, $100 paint job. They better!

We ended up spending a while in there. They kept trying to convince us that we needed all these things...like a $1000 wheelset. Or a pair of $100 tires. Or this, or that! This was the owner by the way. I made fun of him and said, "Wow, aren't you quite the sales guy!" He didn't like that I guess and said that he was a mechanic not a sales guy. Whatever! Of course he's a sales guy, he's the owner for crying out loud. Anyways, they loved my bike!!! They begged me to bring it back in and show them when I was done putting it together. They also really liked the white paint job. It was cool. It's such a simple and fast bike. I don't think they see things like that much anymore.

So, that's the story of my bike so far. Jason is going to take a little bit of car paint to the chip mark and hope that works. He also has already put on on the crankset and brakes. What a little mechanic. I told him he should work on bikes or a living...shoot, $50/20 min is pretty darn good! :-) When the bike is all done I will post on here some pictures of the process. Probably just the before and after. If you want a more detailed look you can skip on over to the OneSource Cycling blog. I'll let you know when you can do that! :-) Okay everyone, have a wonderful weekend! Until Monday.

1 comments:

Kate said...

Hey Anna, no worries. I'll see you wednesday, though. How much do I owe you? Thanks so much for doing this. I'm so excited!