Monday, June 30, 2008

10KOM and other news...

Welp, I'm back from the weekend. It's nice that this week is a 4 day week. Yay for 4th of July and church picnics...I love church picnics.

Ok, let's start with Saturday. I slept in...sort of, and had a nice slow morning. Jason called me when he woke up and we went to Linnea's for coffee and waffles. Yummy! Then we went to Barnes and Nobles and read magazines...well, Jason did. I went on a search for cheap fabric for curtains. I didn't find anything that I really liked so I think that I will be using some plain flat sheets instead. That's fine. Also, I'm working on a new fun purse...yay. Pictures to come. Then we cleaned the chains on our bikes and Jason was finally able to fix the creak in his bike. He won't admit it but he is quite the bike mechanic. It's funny to go to the bike shops with him because I think the mechanics really like talking to him. It's probably nice for them to have someone who knows all the "lingo" and gets what's going on.

As for Sunday...I woke up at 6am and Jason picked me up at 6:30am. We drove over to Madonna mountain to do the ?KOM. It's ?KOM because I had no idea how many I was going to do. The goal was 4. I will say that yes, I successfully completed my goal. Was it pleasant?...mmmm...not really. Lap 1 was lame...it was a warm-up and definitely didn't feel good. Lap 2 felt great. Lap 3 felt pretty good. Then on Lap 4 I started thinking about everything that I could possibly eat. I thought about pancakes, sausage, my cliff bar in my pack, the peanut butter and jelly sandwich I had in the ice chest at the truck. By the top of the mountain I was running on NOTHING...but didn't realize it. I started thinking about why it was I felt so crumby. There were other girls who kept going and going...who finished the 10. I was thinking..."Man, am I a pansy or what?" On the way down my 4th lap I started thinking about why it was that I felt SO bad. I couldn't figure it out. Upon thinking about it I realized that this is my 5th ride in about 3 weeks (after not riding at all for 2 months or more). That's pretty bad. I like to do 3 rides in one week...so it should have been more like my 9th ride. It's been busy though with moving and yada yada. So, I finished the 4th lap thinking, "I guess I'm out of shape." The weird thing about it was that I wasn't out of breath, nor did it feel like my legs were totally done. I just felt weak and completely energy-less. After finishing my 4th lap I ran to the truck and sat down. I completely inhaled my Cliff bar. Then I broke into the sandwich and ate that. Then I sucked down a GU (an energy gel.) After I ate that (in about 5 minutes...literally) I was sitting there and finally realized what was wrong. I feel so stupid too for it. I didn't eat before the ride. I had a cup of coffee and that was it. I'm not a breakfast eater. Before races though I always eat. I have no idea why I completely forgot to eat before it. Oh well. I wouldn't have done 10 but I think that I might have been able to do 6 or 7...maybe :-).

Jason came down from the mountain after 5 laps and we went to church. At first he was fine with doing 5 but then later on he was bummed that we didn't ditch church and do all of them. Oh well. When I told Jason that I didn't eat anything before the ride and not until the end of my 4th lap, he was shocked. "Of course you totally crashed Anna." Yeah...I know. :-)

So, it was a learning experience. There are many things that are sore on my body...like my rear, my lower back, and my hands. It was...fun? Yeah, it WAS fun...mostly because it was a challenge. We both got a free t-shirt out of it and a $25 gift certificate for a restaurant in Morro Bay from Scott....even though we didn't complete the challenge. What a guy! We also went to a BBQ at Art's to bid farewell to John...a mechanic there who is moving with his wife to Ecuador for two years to teach...can we come? John and his wife are super nice and I wish I could have met her earlier.

Overall, a good weekend though. Not too shabby at all.

*Note: I just got a call from Jason telling me that my bike is DONE! Jason built it up but took it to the shop to make sure that it was all done properly. So, it's officially complete and that means I can ride it today or tomorrow. Tomorrow sounds a little more appealing..considering the state my rear end is in! :-) Pictures to come on tomorrow's post! Yay.

3 comments:

lindsey said...

you did awesome, anna! i don't think i could even walk up madonna once!

Kate said...

I know that the material was only $15 dollars, but I thought I'd pay you just a bit more for your labor. We love it!!! Thank you so much. I used it as my purse a few nights ago on a date. I have gotten quite a few compliments on it. Thanks so much!

Jason and Anna said...

Thanks Lindsey! :-)
Sean and the guys did great too...although I didn't actually see any of them finish. They are crazy, tough riders!!!