Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Pimp my Bike!

Keeping in mind that this is cool only to me...My mountain bike is receiving a lil' TLC. (If this is totally boring to you scroll to the bottom and check out some funny "Fail" pics). I bought a new fork...yeah yeah yeah. The new fork made the old crusty bike look...exceedingly old and crusty. So, now I am going to be powder coating the frame at this place in Grover Beach. It's going to be painted white. Sound boring huh? I like white bikes though...they look sleek. I have to strip everything off of the frame so I get clean all my 35 year old parts really well...that's always good. Also, I am in the market for a new Chris King headset...hallah (I'm thinking pink...a little "girl pride" out on the trail is always needed)! My old one is creaky. It bugs beyond belief. Also...maybe if finances allow...some XTR V-brakes and a possible new XT crank set. Yes, thank you government rebate. I am contributing to our plummeting economy. If we have the Great Depression II it won't be because I did something stupid like put my rebate into savings. Who would do that??? And here are some pictures of my hopeful loot!



These are by far the best brakes you can have outside of disc brakes. My frame is a "pre-disk" frame and so it doesn't have the mounts on the rear. Since I can't upgrade to disc brakes I will get the next best thing. I've actually been told by some that they prefer these over the disc brakes. I guess we'll see.

There are the cranks that I will get. I have a pair od Shimano Deore on right now. As far as "quality" it goes from the lowest to highest...Shimano Deore, Shimano LX, Shimano XT, and then Shimano XTR. XT is very good and much lighter. Since my new fork is a bit heavier I would like to decrease the weight in other parts of my bike to keep it very cross country friendly.
This is pretty much what my bike will look like in the end...minus the "Klein" written on the frame (I don't want a brand on it, although it is a Klein! :-). Also my fork is black and not white. And the last great thing...
My "girl flair". I'm so not a pink person...I think it's pretty but pink is not my favorite color by any means. When I'm on the trail though I'm totally ok with pink. Sort of makes me feel a little feminine in a mostly man's mountain biking world. So, where it's pink underneath the handle bars and right above the fork (not the hub on the back wheel) I will have that too. It's called a Chris King headset and it's by far the best thing out there as far as headsets. I've always wanted one but never could justify getting one...since mine was working fine. So, now I get one...yay! Ok, enough mountain biking jabber that you probably didn't even read. Here are some random "Fail" pics online I found that made me laugh!!!

For the picture above...there are some things you just shouldn't recycle....lol!!!

This is sad!!!! Poor duckies!

HA!!! That cat looks so distressed!

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

I like old bikes, and I like white bikes, so go you!

If you want a cheap King headset there's a green one (1 1/8") on the Boulder Craigslist (I think? I've been doing a lot of bike shopping).

I do like the pink on a mountain bike though. Good thought.

Jason and Anna said...

Thanks but I actually have a mid 90's Klein. It's quality but old...quite a light frame so I just won't part with it (3.6 lbs!). I can't afford to get anything close to equivalent. It's also just fun to take something old and make it super great. Anyways, because of that...I definitely have the 1" steer tube going on. Finally found a 1" fork...THAT was a hunt. Now I have the 1" headset too! Wahoo! Thanks for the tip though. Green was my second choice acutally!