Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Crazy?...Maybe

So, my new ridiculous aspiration...

To ride 170 mountain miles, climb 14,000 feet, all in four days. Why does this sound fun to me? Hmmm...not sure. I don't know if I'd go as far as saying that it sounds fun. Disneyland sounds fun. Playing Frisbee on the beach sounds fun. This sounds...challenging with a little bit of fun mixed in here and there. I think that it would stretch my mountain biking ability to the limit...yeah, I know it would. So, it sounds only partially fun. It really sounds like a challenge that needs a conquering!

Day 1- 6 mile ride (what? I ride 3 times that on a normal ride. I guess it's a "warm up".)

Day 2- 55 miles. (um, yeah. The longest ride I have ever done is 24 miles.)

Day 3- 55 miles.

Day 4- 54 miles.


My one, ok not ONE, but my main concern...the altitude. Not sure how the bod will react. If this really happens I will definitely want to go there a few days early and do some hiking in the altitude to get acclimatized. We will see. The race takes place in beautiful Brian Head Peak, Utah. You get a jersey at the end for just completing it. I think you have all day to finish each leg too. So, all that together makes it not quite as bad as it sounds. It took me about 3.5 hours to ride 24 miles. We had one flat and a chain break. It took forever to fix the chain!!! So, let's say it took 3 hours to do 24 miles. I could definitely finish 55 miles in 8 hours...I hope. It's also not a "survival" race where they test your limits and ability to find your way out of the wilderness. That would not be fun.

So, I mentioned it to Jason. He said it would be really cool to do it but I'm not sure what that means. There are some avid bike people in SLO town. Maybe we could get a group together, fly out there, (or drive), camp...and ride our brains out. Or, maybe not...:-) We will see. It doesn't have to be this year either. It can be one of my "one day" goals.

3 comments:

jenny said...

I love it. I think that you could definately do it! If i was an avid biker - I think I could see myself wanting to do it with you. Maybe I could ride a Harley next to you?? now THAT would be fun!

Oh, and about my registry... I'd really like it if you could get the crib, stroller and breast pump for us - that'd be great!

Kristen Borland said...

wow! okay, i won't call you crazy to your face (or over the internet), but i might think it! just kidding!! i think it's great that other people want to do things like this just as long as i don't have to do it!

my bro-in-law, tim, did 63 marathons in 63 days last year across the U.S., and in a couple days he'll be starting a 13-day expedition in canada that is an ultra-marathon (50 miles, to be specific) everyday for 13 days. these are things i have no desire to ever do!!

all that to say, good for you and i hope you do this biking expedition some day!

Our Life Together said...

Wow, you make me feel like I'm lazy and don't get off the couch ;). I wish I was ambishish (Sp??) as you. I think you should totally do it and we'll all cheer for you at the finish line :).