Thursday, July 31, 2008

Details of the Event!

*Note: If you have no idea what the "event" is...you are so behind in Grace Church news! haha. Just scroll on down to the next post and you will understand completely! :-)*

First off, thank you so much for all of your support and love. It means a TON to Jason and I! You guys are all great!

Ok, so here it is. Basically, we got home from vacation on Sat. evening like I said. We didn't want the vacation week to end because it's always so hard to go back to work. We wanted to try our best to make Sun. fun. Jason originally thought that he would propose on the actual vacation...while on that gorgeous hike that there are pictures of in my previous posts. The trail was a lot more busy then the last time we went and we ended up running into his parents quite a bit while on it (we hiked ahead and then they caught up when we stopped to fish and what not). He wanted it to be a private affair so he changed his mind about asking me then.

Sunday night we decided to go see Kung Fu Panda...like I said before. I didn't realize it but he had brought his jacket and had put the ring in the pocket of it. When he got into the car he didn't put his jacket in the middle of us...like he usually does, but kept it on the side of him, next to the door. I didn't even notice. He said that he was afraid I would try to fold it or something and feel it in the pocket. So, we saw the movie. After the movie in AG, on the way to Avila, we had to stop to get gas. I didn't really think anything of it then either but I moved his jacket for some reason and he grabbed it from me and put it in his lap. Funny stuff. We got to Avila, had dinner, and then walked on the pier (none of this is particularly abnormal because we sometimes treat ourselves to Custom House and we always walk after we eat big meals to digest a little).

So, after we walked on the pier Jason started to just casually walk over to the swing sets. This is significant because this is the place where I really kinda "let" myself start liking Jason. He was pursuing me for a while and I just didn't know what I thought. I liked that he was active and adventurous but I wanted to be sure that he was passionate about the Lord and people and that he was going to be able to lead me spiritually. It's funny because I think we all have an image of who we are going to marry. He didn't fit the "image" at all. He was better! :-) So, at this same swing set about 3 1/2 years ago we sat and talked for hours probably. This is when I got a glimpse into his heart and started to see his passions for God, people, and life. This is when I thought, "Hmmm. Maybe he's not so bad! :-)" I had told this to him about a year ago. He remembered it and decided to use it later on :-).

So, we were swinging and deep in some conversation. A proposal wasn't even in my thoughts. I think since it was the day after vacation and we were a little bummed to be home it didn't even cross my mind!!! Well, the night was beautiful, the stars were out, and the waves were crashing on the shores when a big group of high school age kids came running at the swing sets too. Haha. They were out of control. It was funny. We laughed at them and kept talking for a while. It was starting to get late (9:30pm...that's late for us on a work night) and he suggested that we walk back to the car but go along the beach to get there. So we walked along the beach slowly and took in the beauty. It's funny. The beach is so close and yet we rarely go...especially at night! I remember thinking about how I liked the way you couldn't really see the waves form until it broke and you saw the white from the crest hitting the ocean. Then, kinda out of nowhere he (oooh, it's getting PG here!) kissed me. It was a little random. I felt a tiny bit of movement between us but I didn't really clue in on what it was (he was taking the ring out of his pocket and using the kiss as a decoy). So, he then said, "It's time I ask you a question"...or something like that. Then I knew! He then got down on one knee and gave me "his speech," and asked me to marry him. Included in that is what I affectionately call "The L Bomb" aka I Love You! We didn't want to take those words lightly and decided that it was best to wait until we were engaged to say it. It was so so soooo sweet. So intimate and perfect. Not a soul was around!

So, after I said, "YES!" I pretty much freaked out. It's funny because you picture it happening but I really didn't realize the flood of emotions that would occur. I think I cried a little, laughed a ton, maybe screamed a little, and smiled so hard it felt like my lips would fall off. I remember asking him if the ring was pretty...I couldn't see it since it was dark. He said, "Yes, it's very pretty!" Wow, what a surreal and amazing thing. After the proposal we walked back to his truck. It was a little late and so we didn't really know what to do. We couldn't really call anyone because it seemed a bit too late for that. He was like, "So, what do you want to do now?" I said, "I don't know!" He then drove me home and dropped me off at my abode. I freaked out in disbelief about 8 times on the way home. I told him I felt like a giddy fool. He said that was a good thing! :-) So, Mon. night we told my parents (although my dad already knew! :-) and Tues night we told Jason's parents (who were still out of town) and his sister, Wed. I told a couple of close friends, and Thur....well, I told all of you!!! :-) So, I hope you enjoyed our sweet little story. I sure enjoyed the event!!!! :-)

9 comments:

Kate said...

hooray. what a romantic sweet story! thanks for sharing it with us! Congratulations!

Kristen said...

Woot woot! Oh wow, i don't even know you and i'm so happy to hear the news!! I love all the details of the proposal. And wow, no "L Bomb" for 3.5 years...that's so interesting how you guys decided to wait to say it. It will be so fun to hear about wedding plans, etc. but i know you're basking in the enjoyment of the proposal, and will have plenty of time to think about the rest of it, later. :) Congrats!

jenny said...

Oh so beautiful! I just love hearing the details... Ahhh... love, sweet love.... Anna, I remember back when this all started - who would have ever thought? :-) I LOVE LOVE LOVE your ring! Tell Jason, wonderful job! Annamaria Evangelista! Sounds perfect!

Our Life Together said...

What a romantic story and you had no idea it was coming, even better. I'm so happy that God put this wonderful man in your life. Congratulations again!!!!

liz oelker said...

Omg! That is such a beautiful event. good job Jason! :) And that ring is absolutely beautiful..very you- again, good job Jason. Congratulations to both of you. I am so excited to see the plans God has for the two of you as you embark on this new adventure. Hurray!!

Kristen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen Borland said...

how wonderful!! i love it when it's so personal like that. so special! we are so excited for you guys! (and i have to say i'm so excited for your parents and jason's parents because i know they've been waiting for this for so long! i bet everyone is ecstatic!)

Mama Mote said...

I like what Jenny said...your new name will just flooooooowwwww. Great story and beautiful, gorgeous ring. I love you guys so much and can't wait to celebrate THE day. See you soon.

Brianna Heldt said...

SO ROMANTIC! We didn't say "I love you" until Kevin proposed either, and it was so special. What a great story! And a gorgeous ring, I forgot to say that in my last comment. I LOVE that the proposal surprised you and you weren't expecting it!