Thursday, July 17, 2008

Anna is *Contemplative*

Funny story. Well, kind of. So, I have a facebook account...along with the rest of Cal Poly and actually so do a lot of adults like Annie Danner, Lisa Lewis, etc. Ha! I just said, "so do a lot of adults". Because I'm not one right? duh. I honestly feel 17 still. Weird. I don't think you really become an adult until you are married...and have kids. THEN you're an adult. :-)

Ok, back to what I was actually going to say. So, my Religious Studies Prof told us that we were a very narcissistic generation because of things like Facebook. On Facebook you can put a status like, "Anna is off work for the next week". This shows up for all your "friends" to see. So he said to us, "Do you all actually think that people care that you are "eating peanut butter and carrots" at the time. No! No one cares." It was kind of funny. So, I think about that periodically...and I have never once posted a status because of that. Maybe I need something more monumental that people will be interested in like, "Anna just found $20,000 in a trash can." That would be worth posting for a status! :-)

Also, I'm kind of confused. So, you know how soda isn't that great for you?!? Of course you do. Well, I was sitting here, drinking my soda when I suddenly looked at the nutrition facts. I was kind of surprised...a soda only has 140 calories. How can 140 calories make you gain weight? Even if I had one every day...would it really do that much? Maybe people have more like 5 sodas a day. I guess that could do some damage. I think I just figured there were more like 300 calories in a soda or something. Really though...140? That's not THAT bad. :-)

Oh, I made a nursing thingy. I'm sure most of you have seen them. I think that there might even be a woman in the church who makes them. It's basically a rectangle with an adjustable loop to go around the neck. It makes breast feeding easier so you don't have to worry about holding the blanket up too. I made it for Cara. She said that she was hoping to get one but hadn't received one. I told her, "I'll make it!" I had actually never seen one in real life so I went on to Etsy and looked at what was on there. Many of them used a little bit of boning at the top so that it curved out a little...allowing air flow for the babe and also a way for the mom to see her baby. Anyways, I used some of Amy Butler's Midwest Modern...I've never used that line. I think it came out cute. It was definitely pretty easy, AND my sewing machine worked great. I love it when it has "good days". :-) Anyways, I did one side with the fabric on the left and one side with the fabric on the right. Fun stuff! The boning was a great idea too!













Ok, well, enough ramblings. I am checking out of the Blog World for 9 days! Talk to you in two Mondays from now! Woohoo!!!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I know, 140 calories doesn't seem like that much! But when you think about it.......140 calories a day times 30 days (in a month) = 4200. 3500 calories = one pound, so you can potentially gain over a pound a month just drinking one soda a day. That's more than 12 lbs a year! So it can really add up. (I obviously have a lot of time on my hands today, ha ha!)

But obviously with someone active like you, that shouldn't be a problem. I just find it interesting to look at nutritional info in the long run. They are also saying that the high fructose corn syrup in sodas puts people at a major risk for diabetes. Sad!

Anyway.....have a great vacation! :)

Jason and Anna said...

Wow! Ok, that totally puts it into perspective. And I'm sure that the people who gain weight from soda don't wake up one day and realize, "Wow, I suddenly gained a ton of weight." I'm sure it's a slow weight gain.

I wish I didn't drink it. I probably have one or two a week. I just crave it sometimes. It's always a goal to cut it out completely but I usually ruin it by going out for pizza, getting a coke...and them I'm a gonner. The taste is there again and once again...I start to crave it!!! :-)

Liv said...

I have not had time to read your blog in a while. Its so good to hear your thinkings.- So the soda thing... Well usually people who drink coke consistently have more like a 32oz a day. I have started not looking at calorie but the stuff that actually makes up your food what it that stuff going to do to your body over the long run??? I recently finished reading a book "all about green tea" and the amazing health benifits, which I know you are aware. And I'm commiting to primarily only drink this cup of goodness. I haven't drank coke (carbinated drink) in so long that the thought of the taste groses me out....then again I have frozen custard once a week and I know the sugar isnt good for me... I guess we all have our little things that just make life "sweeter"
I dont know why I wrote so long a response, just wanted to talk I guess...
Liv