Monday, July 7, 2008

Weekend happenings...

Hello all! *Sigh* It's Monday. This weekend was alright. I am rather happy to say that vacation is in less than two weeks. Yay! Poor Jason though...he has a bumm shoulder. It seems that at least one of us has been injured or sick in the last couple of months. First Jason was sick, then I was sick, then I had a hurt ankle, and then his shoulder started to hurt...a lot. We keep trying to get into shape but...it's just not really happening. Oh well. Anyways, I guess you can pray for him and his shoulder. I don't think that it's anything serious because there is no moment that he can pinpoint and say "This is when it started." It just kind of came out of nowhere. He's going to REALLY back-off of physical activity for a week. He kept trying to do that but wasn't successful. If it doesn't get better after a week then it's off to the doctor for him!

So, Friday was the church picnic which was fun as usual. Jason's parents went and saw these famous horses at the Madonna expo center later in the afternoon. We thought about doing that but instead opted to go bouldering at Bishop's peak. (See, he's not good at being un-active). That was really fun. I was determined to finish a route and eventually got it. Yay!!!

You know, I love mountain biking...a lot. Recently though I have really grown to love climbing. It's sort of hard to explain why. It seems like people either think you are crazy or they totally get it. I understand how one could come to both conclusions! :-)

I love how it makes you feel strong. Most of it's technique though and not really bruit strength. I think there is a huge sense of accomplishment with it too. Usually the routes are technical and involve thinking and problem solving. You also usually try it a handful of times before you finish it (or some you still can't quite get). There is a very definite beginning and end to it also, a definitive goal to accomplish...make it from point A to point B with out falling. When it's done and you finally conquered that route...I don't know, you have a little internal celebration. There's also that point where you reach a certain height in a lot of bouldering routes where you think to yourself, "Will the mat really protect me all that much at this point?" It's kind of scary, it's very motivating to finish well, and it also gives you a little rush! :-) Finally it puts me out into the beautiful outdoors that the Lord has created. It's a wonderful way to meet non-believers and be a light to them. It's a very communal and friendly sport and so there are a ton of opportunities to meet people. Just Friday we ended up climbing with people from Boston. I guess I just thank the Lord that he created our bodies so magnificently that we could scale up the side of a rock. Isn't that amazing?

Anyways, I'm looking forward to trying some rocks out in the Eastern Sierras. That will be great fun! I hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend! See you later!!!

0 comments: