Thursday, September 4, 2008

LoVe is in the air...or maybe it's in the water???

So, another person I know is engaged! Crazy stuff!!! It's funny because all of the people...ok, so there's 3 of us (that's a lot though to me...for a one month period) have been dating for over 3 years. Jason and I...about 3 1/2 years, Kayla and Andrew...about 3 1/2 years, Autumn and Craig...I think a little over 4 1/2 years. Whoa mama!!!

It's funny because Jason and I have been asked the question, "When are you guys getting married?" starting at the 6 month mark. I DREADED the question at that point. I usually answered awkwardly, "Um, uh, we'll see what the Lord has for us." I always thought, "Give me a break people...6 months? AND I still have 2 1/2 years of school left!" After the one year mark people started asking us while we were together, "So, when are you guys going to get married?" One word: AWKWARD! Haha. I look back on it now and think it's funny...but when it was happening...not so much! I think people were VERY confident that we would be together forever...even though we weren't totally. At about 1 1/2-2 years we did start to talk about marriage off and on. At that point we were both still in school. Jason had a year or so left and I had about 2 years. We talked a little about whether it would be smart to get married while in college. I knew I wanted to finish school no matter what. I had already invested so much time and money into it that I wanted to finish my degree. Anyways, long story short...we waited until both of us were out of undergrad school.

I think it was smart for us. I know plenty of people who got married in college and it worked for them. The Lord has a different path for each of his children. The Lord also knows what we can and can't handle. I was actually thinking about it this morning. For those of you who don't know...I'm not exactly the perfect diligent student. I really liked going to class, learning, seeing my fellow phil majors, being on campus, being a part of a "community" but I really was not good at doing the other major part of school...homework! I mean I did fine in school but I definitely received a few too many C's. Once I got home I would take any excuse possible to not read or study (ask Autumn...or Jason!) I was really bad at Cuesta. I shaped up a little at Poly since there is less time to "catch up" on reading and the such and because I had started dating Jason (he is VERY diligent and probably got one C in his college career in some hard science class, darn smarty.) Anyways, if I had even been engaged in school, HA!, that would have been a baaaaaad quarter. Wedding planning would have taken over.

Anyways, not sure why I rambled on about that. I don't really have anything else to write about...so there you go! Oh, Autumn can't go dress shopping with me next Sat. I think she was so busy thinking about her wedding that she forgot about the one she's supposed to go to that same weekend. Oh well. So, I'm on my own. Bummer! Having a friend would have eased the awkwardness. Is it just me or is "wedding dress trying-on" awkward? You try on a bunch of dresses, half of which you don't really like. Then you go and stand on a little podium while the whole store stares at you. To top it off you have a random store clerk cinching the dress down on you trying to make it "fit" in a way that you can "picture it". Hmmmm. Sounds awkward to me. A friend who is stuck in the same sitch. would have been fun. Oh well. I'm going to bring a bridesmaid with me instead and she can laugh with me! :-)

17 comments:

Kali said...

Hey girl! Thanks for the comment...as you can see, I found picnik and loved it! I appreciate the tips :-)

Also, I'll let Dan know that you said that Jason said congrats! haha...but really, thanks. He started work today - and was quite excited. Please tell Jason hello for us, too!

Kali said...

Oh, and sorry for one more comment - I forgot something! I was going to tell you that wedding dress shopping, while it theory it does sound awkward & rather silly, is really quite fun once you get going. I mean, you only get to try on those gorgeous, if rather massive, dresses once...you might as well enjoy the moment :-) After all, you are the bride!

Kristen said...

I can totally sympathize with the whole, "when are you getting married??" thing. My husband and i dated for 3 years before getting engaged, and for us, that was the right choice. But i know for other people, they can date for a month and feel like they're ready for marriage...and it some cases it DOES work! (My grandparents, for example. They met on a blind date, married a few weeks later and have been madly in love for no less than 50 years!!)

Anyway, i just wanted to say i understand how awkward it can be...but at least you don't have to deal with that anymore! :) I read your blog from time to time and remember seeing a few comments from people asking when you two were gonna tie the know. I felt bad that you had to deal with that! But if they were friends of yours, you were probably okay with it. :)

Kristen said...

I meant to write, "tie the knot." :)

Jason and Anna said...

This is true Kali! They are so pretty and I'am excited to put them on...that's for sure! When do you ever have the excuse to pay several hundred dollars for a piece of clothing? It's like the ultimate shopping experience. I like to shop...:-). I don't know why I'm nervous. I bet I'll get into the groove of it once I get there and see all the pretty dresses!!! :0)

Carrie Haughey said...

make sure you try on at least one massively expensive dress, even if you can't afford it, you can take a picture in it!! I think I tried on one that was $3000!!!!! no way I was going to buy it, that was more then half the wedding budget, but it sure was pretty! ^_^

Jacquelyn said...

Trying on dresses is fun! but only if the consultant respects your parameters. Nobody seemed to understand why I didn't want to wear a strapless dress with no hoopskirt underneath. Otherwise it's just like playing dress up. If you can find a quality seemstress and you have an idea in mind you can get a dress made for you. I bought all the material for my dress in L.A.'s fabric district for $100 (veil included) and had a Badgley Mischka inspired gown made for me. Just a thought, I'm assuming you're going to do something simple ... you just seem like you would look perfect in a J Crew gown. (P.S. phillip had to ask my my dad's permission 5 times before my dad consented so we dated for almost 3 years before we tied the knot, it was a constant roller coaster each time he asked and was denied!)

Jason and Anna said...

Oh my gosh Jacquelyn!!! Ha! I had no idea! What a persistent guy! :-) That's crazy.

I am definitely more drawn to the simple things. I'm not sure I have a preferance on straps...well, I kind of do. I wish I had a little more of a figure. The dresses that are more straight up and down really bring out the fact that I am...straight up and down. Wow, the more comments I get the more excited I become about trying on dresses!

Boundaries are good too with the wedding ladies. One of my friends said that the woman just bust in and started talking to her and asking her questions with the door wise open. She said she just stood there in her bra and thong totally humiliated. I've heard only good things though about Down the Isle!

Carrie Haughey said...

here is my massively long response/suggetions/experience

Let’s see, we had the reception at the church, so we didn’t have to pay for a separate reception site, those get really really expensive!

We did munchies and cake too… we had a caterer who was just starting out, so we pretty much got everything for cost because they needed the experience and references.

We printed the save the date cards and invitations ourselves, but I think most everyone does that now.

I had my roommates help with an “invitation” party and we all addressed them and put them together in a sort of assembly line. One of my other roommates was getting married too, and so we did hers another week…

We put together the favors ourselves too, little votive candles in a glass votive holder with a sticker on it with our names and the date and a little quote, wrapped in tulle and tied up with a ribbon. I bought a ton of candles and holders online for really cheap candle4less.com is a great site!

My sister and her boyfriend’s mom went to a flower market the day before the wedding and bought all the centerpiece flowers and put them together rather then have the florist do it. The church had table cloths and we just went to a craft/fabric store and bought coordinating (to the wedding colors) fabric, cut it to size and put that in the middle and put the flowers on top.

We probably could have saved a TON of money by putting together the bouquets ourselves too. They were pretty, but not what I had envisioned at all, which was sad 

Our photographer was just starting out on her own too, so we got her services pretty cheap, and she was super generous about pricing and stuff. She is local here, so we had to pay for travel and lodging, but still really reasonable prices. www.evaweddings.com some of our pictures (engagement and wedding) are on her gallery. She is super sweet and tiny! She used to work for this company, which I think is run by a family member, www.temptingweddings.com

We didn’t have a “Get away” car/limo, just Kyle’s Honda, it would have been nice, but wasn’t necessary…

My aunt helped with a lot of stuff too, $$ wise, getting my dress altered by a lady she knows, so I didn’t have to pay for that, I could have probably gotten it done at David’s Bridal where I got the dress, but this lady is a professional dress maker, so she did a super nice job that I could have never afforded!

Um, that’s all I can think of right now… if you have anymore questions, let me know!!

Jason and Anna said...

Cool! Thanks Carrie! You totally re-affirmed the "doing our own bouquets" thing. I wasn't sure but the more I read the more I think that's a good way to go.

That's so funny about candles4less. I was just lookin at them yesterday and was wondering if they were a good site!! Woohoo!

Yes, we're doing the reception and ceremony at Grace which saves money for sure.

We're doing our own invites too. You should come to my assemble/address party!!! :-)

I was thinking about not doing favors at all. Is that tacky or selfish of me? I'm not sure. I just didn't know if we could come up with anything that people would want. Your idea was very cool though.... hmmmm.

AND I just emailed that cute little Eva lady! Thanks for the advice, that was a huge help!!!

Jacquelyn said...

another tip: no favors and buy the smallest wedding cake you can and feed the guests with a white costco cake. Once it gets all cut up, who can tell? Also if you know someone handy with flowers a cake decorated with flowers is very chic and you can get away with a very simple cake design.

Jason and Anna said...

Oooh! good tips jacquelyn! Ha! That's so funny because I just asked someone if it would be selfish ar tacky to not give out favors! Also LOVE the idea for costco cake...totally doing that. I like the flowers on the cake look too! Yay

Jacquelyn said...

No prob Anna, my wedding was less than $5,000 and we paid for all the bridesmaids dresses and all the Tuxes (4 each) plus the ring bearer and 2 flower girls. It can be done! I hated my bouquet and so if you can get a little practice in doing your own you can save a bunch of money and might end up with better results.

Our Life Together said...

You don't have to do favors Anna. I didn't, my budget was TOTALLY dry by the time I got to that. It's fine though. I think that the cake thing is a good idea, especially since I'm sure a lot of grace people are going to be showing up, but you should know there are a couple of women at the church that do cakes (one of them did my grad cake), so that also may be a way to go. Making your bouquets is great and go way to save money. If you want cheap flowers though, do Elegant Details through that website I gave you. I was shocked when they gave us the final price, it was way less then I thought. :) Have fun planning your wedding, that's the way it should be.

Have fun trying on wedding dresses. Also look at the dresses that are "off the rack" or the floor models that they are trying to get rid of. I got my $2000 for $700, so that's way more then 50% off. I had to take the size they had and then have it majorily taken in, but it was totally worth it. Are you taking your mom???

Jason and Anna said...

Yep! My mom is coming. It was going to be my friend and her mom and me and my mom. Now it will be my mom and I and Rebekah...one of my bridesmaids.

Carrie Haughey said...

also, those candle favors we did, used them to decorate the tables at the reception... yay no extra stuff to buy for the tables!!

I would love to come to your address party!

Kyle and I will be at the campout too... we can talk wedding stuff there... Maybe you and I can ride the Taco together... Can you do two people on it? I don't think Kyle would want to....

Jason and Anna said...

HA! Totally would ride the Taco with you! I have good memories on that thing from last year!!! :-) You can def. put two people on it too! :-) Yay! See you there!