Friday, March 28, 2008

Some events from yesterday...

I hung out with "my girls" yesterday. I have been discipling them since the summer before their 7th grade year (they are juniors now). Last year one of them moved away. She came into town for Easter with her mom and so we got to all spend an afternoon together...laughing and catching up. It's so funny how much they have grown spiritually, physically, and in maturity. (They are way wiser than I was at their age, they are way taller than me now, and they are sweet girls who love their Lord). I almost feel like I'm hanging out with good girl friends who are my age. They are great and we laughed a TON!

The day was topped off with some "girl time" with Cara Badger. We watched Pride and Prejudice, ate Starbucks Mud Pie ice cream...and she made 15 pairs of earrings for Lisa Leonard...who makes absolutely gorgeous jewelry (how do you like that plug?). Jason and Keith went and played racket ball for a couple of hours. They had a blast and came back all pumped up. Boys like to compete with each other...it's in their nature or something. Jason is stoked because he found someone that he can play with. So it looks like this will be our new Thur. night routine. Sounds good to me! It was a very fun night.

Switching now to a more somber note. We left Keith and Cara's and were driving down Madonna Rd. You could see some lights of police cars and what not up ahead. We figured there was an accident or something. As we got closer I saw something in the road...the headlights of the police car were shinning on it. As we approached I realized that it was a body...a man. I don't know why I didn't look away but I just kept staring at it. It was twisted in a way that did not look natural at all. There was no one around him or anything. When I looked at his face and saw that his eyes were closed I pretty much freaked out. I was sure that he was dead. Jason was shocked at my reaction. He's never seen me have a melt down before. At first I was distressed and sad and then I was just plain mad. They had him just laying there in the middle of the road for everyone to see...and with a spotlight for that matter. Jason brought me back to my senses and told me that it's possible that he wasn't dead and that it probably just happened so there hasn't been time to conceal him or move him (the ambulance wasn't even there yet). He thought that we should pray for him. So, we did.

I could not shake the image from my head though. It was so horrible and it kept flashing into my mind over and over through out the night as I was getting ready for bed. It took a while for me to fall asleep but I finally did. The first thing I did this morning was check ksby to see what happened. It was on the internet and praise the Lord he wasn't dead. REALLY messed up, but not dead. I guess he broke both legs and arms (which is the reason for the horrible position he was in), fractured his head, and fractured his neck (which is why they weren't touching him). He was probably knocked out when we drove by. He was a transient who had ran out into traffic and a 23 year old guy hit him...ugh...can you imagine? I think I would have a nervous break down if I ever hit someone. Poor guy. I have never seen anything like that so I think it just really hit me hard. When I thought that he was dead it really made me realize that we ARE mortal. I mean I know that but...I've never seen someone without life in their body. I'm not sure why I shared this. I guess I was really happy and thankful to know that he lived.

So, yeah...ok...have a great weekend everyone. It's FRIDAY!!!!!

0 comments: