Friday, March 14, 2008

Soap Box Time and Desk Spaces...

I remember telling someone when I was a senior in high school that I didn't think that this could possibly be the end times becuase it seemed to me that the world wasn't that sinful...all things considering. Lately I have been thinking about that. As a senior in high school my scope of the world stretched about as far as maybe San Luis County and Fayetteville, NC (where I lived before Cali). I thought that yes, there was sin; homosexuality, theft, lying, adultery...but those things happend in Abraham's time and it wasn't the end times then, so why now? My thinking 7 years ago was very innocent...but mostly naive. I never really read current events and I was very much in a bubble.

I still don't think that I understand the true depth of sin and the true fruit of having a world submerged in sin. I also don't expect that the world will ever change...not until Christ comes back. Lately though, I have been overwhelmed at all of the heart ache, crime, violence, and pride that is happening across the world. Jason is really good about reading and being educated on what is happening in the world...being proactive and recognizing the world for what it is, fallen...and praying for it in turn. I am not good at this...I would rather not know sometimes becuase I hate the helpless feeling that inevitebly comes with being educated on these issues. I am realizing more and more though that I am not helpless...or maybe I may be, but the God that I am calling out to is not!

The latest of the issues that have been bearing their weight on my heart is Sri Lanka and the state that it is in currently. I just hope that those girls at the orphanage are ok...that most of all they are trusting and praising God through the situation there. What was brought to my attention on Sat. by Jason was what it going on in Sudan...or what has been going on. We can't give money to help the country becuase who knows where it goes. What they need most is people to come and give medical attention and education. There are so many things that are going wrong. People are starving and meanwhile they are building a multi-million dollar underground cave to store seeds of vegetables and fruit in, just in case the world has a catastrophe and we lose them all. Not that this is necessarily bad...I just find it ironic. We are doing this so that future people don't lose out on vital nutrients and foods that they need to survive...but what about the one's now?

I don't know if this is the "end times" and I don't really think that it matters, even if it is. I just realize now that our world is in fact very sinful and fallen. I'm sure that it CAN get worse, although I hope it doesn't. Hmmm, not sure why I told you all of this. I guess it's just what I have been thinking about lately. So, sorry about the low note. Maybe I will try to leave off on a high note. So here is a funny/strange conversation that I had yesterday...

*phone rings*

Me: "Thank you for calling the San Luis Business Center, this is Anna, how can I help you?"

Lady: "Hi, do you rent out office furniture?"

Me: (thinking, "What in the world?") "Um, no, sorry we do not."

Lady: (irritated) What?!?

Me: (why is that so hard to understand) Sorry, we don't rent office furniture.

Lady: (with serious attitude) Well, it says right here that you do.

Me: (politely) Well, what does it say, can you read it to me?

Lady: (still with even more attitude) It SAYS that you rent offices and desk spaces. I want to rent a desk space.

Me: (at this point I'm not quite as polite, am actually quite irritated at her attitude and I say) Right. You can rent the DESK SPACE...as in the desk in the space that it is in. You can't take the desk and rent just that. I don't know if that makes sense. (of course I do, I totally just said that to be a smarty pants...oops, isn't that terrible).

Lady: (obviously feeling stupid) Oh, ok, bye. *click*

Isn't that funny? I got a good laugh out of that one. It wouldn't have been so bad except for the fact that she was mean. I wish I didn't enjoy so much knowing that she felt so stupid after that. Oh well...what can you do!?! :-)

2 comments:

Liv said...

totally hilarious!!! (about the desk spaces) The sudan I know the more I find out about things that are going on I feel like my life is stupid, my dear freind Lia is in the sudan educating women on sanitation and telling them about the Lord, I know prayer is important but i really want to do something physical. Then I remind myself prayer can have real spiritual and physical effects. Thankyou for praying for me, I really need it.
Liv

jenny said...

Okay, that IS funny! You handled it well though... when people get sassy on the phone with me, I just desire SO BADLY to be sassy right back at them. Good job, Anna. And about all the current events, I know what you mean. My heart has been aching so much reading all the headlines and stuff (our home page is set at FoxNews). My heart is especially burdened for the upcoming elections. Oh, I just pray I would trust the Lord that He is in control and take glory in the fact that HE reigns!