Monday, March 17, 2008

What the Hail? lol.


I will preface this by saying...the format on some of my posts really bugs me. I always want it to double space for new paragraphs. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. And what is up with the weird spacing in these first few paragraphs? Oh well. **EDIT: I am the MASTER! I busted into the HTML of this post and messed around with it until I got all of the paragraphs to double space! I'm on my way to being a full blown computadora nerd!

Also...sorry about the title and my foul mouth! :-) I couldn't resist! Shock or offend anyone? Hope not. hehe

This weekend was a little...different. The very fact that I had 48 hours to do whatever I wanted was beautiful in and of itself. It was sort of a strange weekend. The weekend before last was so beautiful and warm. This weekend was cold, rainy, and I some how managed to get hailed on TWICE! What in the world!?!

(10:30am) Jason and I went mountain biking...like usual, on Sat. morning. We decided to do a little bit of an easier ride and take the Grade side up to the top of Poly Canyon and Shooters rather then going up the Cal Poly side. (Granted, I realize that these names probably mean nothing to you). As we were riding up Stage Coach Rd. we could see that there were some serious rain clouds looming ahead. We thought about turning around but decided to just go for it. So, we rode along. Eventually Jason pulled away from me and I began my fight up the mountain alone. It was pretty cold but out of no where hail started to dump down...those little suckers sting when they hit you. It was really loud too...they kept bouncing off my helmet. The hail stopped and then came the rain. Burrrr. I had a windbreaker stuffed into my Camelback and so I stopped underneath a tree to pull that on. The moment I stopped (and I felt fine...tired, but fine while I was riding) this wave of nausea came. It really felt like I was going to lose it. So weird! I squatted down and closed my eyes and the feeling ended up passing. At that moment it was dumping rain and Jason came racing down the mountain. He suggested turning back. I agreed. We were pretty much to the top at this point so the actaul workout was done. We would just be skipping the fun part...the downhill :-(. Oh well. We are both fighting off this yucky cold and so figured it would just be better to stop rather than put more stress on our bodies. We rode back down the hill and when we got back to his truck we threw all of our stuff in and tried to warm our knee caps. They were pretty much frozen solid. So, that was that.

(1:00pm) We felt like weenies though...becuase it was STILL what it was...an uncompleted ride. There's something really annoying and unsettling about turning back when you are supposed to ride to a certain destination. I always feel like a failure. We decided then to put the bikes away and go climbing instead. That was good...did some new routes...arrived to find that they took a whole wall down of routes that I had just learned...only to put up new ones. Sort of a defeating feeling, now I have to start all over. Oh well.


(3:30pm) Jason and I really like to go to Barnes and Noble and just sit and read. We both love books and magazines but neither of us want to actually buy them...they're expensive! So we go there, load up on craft books, moutain biking and climbing mags, tool books, and whatever else meets our fancy and park it...sometimes for as long as two hours and just browse what we have. It's fun. (And I'm sure B&N's just loves it) :-). Anyways, I remembered that I needed some stuff at the craft store and made a run over there while Jason read away. And guess what happend the second I stepped outside...it DUMPED hail on me AGAIN! What the heck? Where am I? It hurt too. It was hilarious to watch everyone just stop downtown. The whole city took cover under the awnings. I on the other hand was smart! :-) I knew that the hail would turn into rain at any second so, rather then wait until it does that...only to saturate me since I didn't have an umbrella...I pulled my hood on and kept walking. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy but I wasn't wet so hey, I was happy!


Ok, so, that's a really long winded, detailed way of telling you that it hailed in SLO Town! Who'd a thought?

1 comments:

jenny said...

Oh, I like the title of this post. ;-)