Thursday, March 27, 2008

50th post! Let us celebrate this moment over chicken!

Weird title...yes, I know. Well, Jason's parents went out of town and so I made dinner for Jason last night. His mom is an amazing cook and I quite literally eat dinner at their house almost every single night. yummm. I fear marrying this guy because there is a really high bar set for me in the cooking department. He tells me that it doesn't matter and that I'm a good cook. I know he's lying, it does matter...the kid is ruled by his stomach. So I decided to make Chicken Breasts with Balsamic Vinegar and Garlic last night. I'm not a huge chicken lover (at least compared to beef) but this is pretty yummy and really easy...and I think it's somewhat healthy! It's adds some pizazz to that ever so common feather winged dish. If you like balsamic vinegar, garlic, and mushrooms...I believe you may like this. Oh, and it's quite good with a little glass of red wine...yum!

For 4 servings:

Ingredients:
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 pound fresh mushrooms (I use portabello but it doesn't really matter)
2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons of olive oil
6 cloves of garlic (I used 8! But I lovey love garlic!)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon butter

1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Rinse the mushrooms and pat dry. Season the flour with salt and pepper and dredge (isn't that a good word?) the chicken breasts in the flour mixture. Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat and saute the chicken until it is nicely browned on one side (4 min. or so)

2. Add the garlic (best ingredient in the whole world). Turn the chicken breasts and scatter the mushrooms over them. Continue frying, shaking the skillet and stirring the mushrooms. Cook for about 3 minutes, then add the vinegar, broth, bay leaf, and thyme. Cover tightly and simmer over medium low heat for 10 minutes, turning occasionally.

3. Transfer the chicken alone to a serving platter that's warm and cover with foil. Set aside. Continue simmering the sauce, uncovered, over medium heat for about 7 minutes. Swirl in the butter and discard the bay leaf. Pour the saucy mushroomy goodness over the chicken and serve.

And because EVERYONE likes a picture to go with their recipe...here you go!

3 comments:

Carrie Haughey said...

Sounds yummy, and looks yummy too!

I have been lurking a bit here. Do you mind if I add you to my blogging list?

Jason and Anna said...

You can most certainly do that! :-) I will check your blog out and then add you to MINE! How about that?

Carrie Haughey said...

sounds good! :0)