Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A "New" Musical pursuit!

Well, I think that I am going to pick back up an old "talent". For 3 years I played the viola. Just when I was getting to a point where I felt pretty confident we moved to California. North Carolina has a way better in-school music program than California and I enjoyed it immensely! When we moved here there wasn't much for me to get involved in and so it got dropped.

So, yesterday I called around and found a place that will rent to me for a couple of months for a good deal. I have also been studying away...trying to re-learn all of that knowledge that it is in my head SOMEWHERE! Where oh where did I tuck it away at? I'm not expecting amazing things from myself...I can play my "air viola" and remember a lot of the finger positions and am able to still read the music. We will see though. Viola is a very "needed" instrument...most people opt to play the violin or the cello. Few actually choose to play the viola. Usually there is a need for them in orchestras. So yeah...I'm excited.

PS: I find that a lot of people have no clue what a viola is. It's a bit bigger than a violin. It's also tuned a fifth lower than a violin...I think. I love the sound. Gorgeous. It's so rich. It's unique also! It's one of the few things that are played in alto cleft. (That's in between treble and bass cleft). The viola is on the right in the picture. Ok, enough music mumbo jumbo!

1 comments:

Kali said...

Wow Anna - I can't keep up with you and your blogging :-) I love that you post so frequently!

The viola is a gorgeous instrument - how exciting! Wish I had a hidden talent like that. I'm sure you'll pick it right back up once you get it in your hands again. Just like riding a bike, right? Let us know how it goes!