Tuesday, February 26, 2008

An "After College Life" Crisis maybe?


I think that I am going through an "after college life" crisis. People go through mid-life crisis' around 40 or 50 and want to buy fast cars and feel young. I feel like I want to eat tofu, live in the bush, and wear hemp clothing. Weird. I have no idea where this is coming from. I always told Jason that if I wasn't a Christian I would be a hippy. I think a clean one though...dirty things gross me out--and minus the dreds...no bueno for me. I guess more like a "mountain woman"...that's a better description. I am totally drawn to living in a commune though where everyone contributes to life equally. I would love to be self-sufficient with my food and where I lack, give to others, and vise versa (I realize that this is very unrealistic in America, at least Suburbia America, and maybe altogether unrealistic becuase of the sunfulness in man). But, I've always felt "drawn" to stuff like that and I think that it's really neat! Lately though this desire has been much stronger. I even have been looking at organic cotton clothing and have been buying most everything, food wise, organic. What is wrong with me? I'm wondering if it's the climbing thing. The climbing community seems to be "purests" for the most part. I guess we've been hanging out at the climbing gym more...maybe that's why. Well, whatever it is...my identity is secure in Christ, even if I do I, in a weird way, crave this life. Here's a hippy quote by John Lenon I found, "Imagine no possesions, I wonder if you can, No need for greed or hunger, A brotherhood of man. Imagine all the people Sharing all the world." HaHa. I guess I wouldn't go that far. :-)

On another note, sort of, Jason and I are still at the climbing thing. We can pretend that that really sweet picture to the left is me...it's not. So, did I ever say that we went climbing for "real" on Bichop's Peak a couple of Saturdays ago. Yeah, Ross Newby and this guy we met at the gym took us. It was...hard. It was also very very cold. Thus, I wouldn't exactly call the experience pleasant. I got up on the first route and couldn't finish it because my legs were shaking so much. It was driving me nuts. I don't really know the reason except that I was freezing, tense and stiff, and a little nervous. All of that together made for a very discouraging first climb. Then I was just mad at myself becuase I knew that I could do it. It was humbling. I don't usually feel humbled when it comes to physical activity...I didn't realize how much pride I had in regard to my physical ability until that climb. How foolish. I guess you sort of take it for granted when things comes easy for you (I take no credit for my ease in physical exertion...it's completely genetic and God given :-) ) So, I did all that I could to not become a grump and I tried it again. That time I made it. (Keep in mind Jason sailed up that route the first time with almost no effort it seemed like). After that we went around the corner and did another climb. I made it up that one too...one part was so hard though, I was sure that I wasn't going to be able to complete it. Anyways, it was a good experience...I don't know if I would go as far as to say that it was fun...maybe the next time it will be warmer. That would make it more fun.

I will end this long post with a cartoon that reminds me of climbing. When on the routes there are all of these terms for rock shapes and hand holds. So, when up there I would yell down, "I don't see where to go from here" Then the guys down below would yell up some non-sense like, "Ok, grab that crimper with your left hand, the one by your elbow and then bump your foot off of that spot by your knee to make it to that horn by your waste. Than you'll see the bucket to your right and grab that." Then I sit there, usually barely hanging on, and say..."WHAT?!" Then they usually laugh and make fun of you...meanwhile you are stuck on the face of the rock and have no where to go. So, here is the cartoon...enjoy! :-)


0 comments: