Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election 2008

Well, I'm still in shock but...Obama is our new president. It was so odd. We were watching the Decision 2008 thing. One by one, McCain was gaining states. Obama was ahead and yet...I thought, hey it's still not over yet. Then we went to a commercial. When it came back to the program it had a picture on the screen of Obama with a "The New President of the United States." I was in shock! WHAT!?! Jason thought that it was a mistake...that they put that up too early. But, it was true. During that commercial break Obama received his 270 electoral votes making him the new president. They should have broke it to me a little more gently. I was kind of mad! :-)


My thoughts are one...it's kind of cool that he's a minority...that we as a country are over that. But that's about as far as it goes for me. The news and everyone went on and on and on and on about the fact that he was black. Everyone was crying in Chicago. Not sure why but it irked me. I said to Jason, "Who CARES what color the man is...Is he going to be a good president!?!" I kind of forget that he's considered "black". Not sure why. Isn't he part black, white, and some middle eastern? It took me a while to realize that he's the first "black" president.


So...Obama won. I'm "ok" with it in the sense that there is not a think that can be done. We can pray and trust the Lord. I was amazed at how much of an idol Obama is to so many. Most of the people that I know are McCain supporters and so I think that I was a bit naive going into this. I did not realize how obsessed people are with him...it was really weird. It will be sad when he too lets them down.

So, I guess that's my two cents on all of this. Not sure what else to say. Is it true that Prop 8 passed??? I tried to find the results but it may be too early. I thought I saw somewhere that it did though. My source may have been facebook though...not sure how reliable THAT is. hahaha

2 comments:

Sarah Griffin said...

Prop 8 is still undecided. Only 95% in, but currently it is passing at 52% YES and 48% NO... so technically it's still "too close to call".

Brianna Heldt said...

I just had a feeling Obama would win. People want change, and to be inspired, and they are mad at Bush, and Obama ran an amazing campaign, and the media loved him from the getgo...so many reasons I think. People believe he can save our country, our economy, and the poor. Interestingly though, he didn't win a huge majority of the popular vote.

I'm glad our nation is a land where skin color doesn't automatically determine your destiny. But I keep going back to Martin Luther King Jr.'s famous quote about the day when men will not be primarily judged on the color of their skin, but on the content of their character.

This was my third time voting in a presidential election, and my first time voting for the loser! Denver LOVES LOVES LOVES Obama, so there are many happy Denver-ites today! :)